Immunisation as a health promotion opportunity
In 2018 & 2019 The TRG Funding enabled the research to partner with Public Health Unit and School Vaccination nurses. The Thirsty? Choose water! project aims to raise students awareness and discussion around sugar sweetened drinks. Resources have been developed which target Year 7 students during the 10-15 minute waiting time in the second round of scheduled Immunisations.
Classroom lessons in PDHPE are being offered to all year 7 students around this time to reinforce the message that the students are receiving at Immunisation. Only offered to the schools in Group 1 & 3 of the research (10 schools in each area).
Why is Health Promotion interested?
- Drinking sugar sweetened drinks (SSD), contributes to health issues including obesity, type 2 diabetes, and oral health problems.
- Reducing SSD is a single modifiable behaviour.
- Drinking tap water is free, good for environment and a positive message
- 5% increase in the proportion of year 7 students drinking 5 or more cups of water per day. Measured by water flow meters.
- Changes in students’ knowledge, attitudes and behaviour regarding water consumption, SSDs
- Changes in the school environment eg promotion of water messages, reduced access to SSDs